Thursday, May 5, 2011

Movie News: New ‘Conan the Barbarian’ Trailer Released

Remember John Milius’s 1982 “Conan the Barbarian” film? It pretty much launched the movie career of a beefy Austrian-born dude by the name of Arnold Schwarzenegger, and also starred James Earl Jones as the evil Thulsa Doom. It was based on the works of ‘30s pulp writer Robert E. Howard, dubbed by many as the father of a genre of historical fantasy called “sword & sorcery,” and a huge influence on my own writing, as well as the birth of a genre called “heroic fantasy.”

Last year, German filmmaker Marcus Nispel was given a reported $90 million to make a new “Conan the Barbarian,” which has recently endured a lot of intense, shall I say, “emotion” from fans after Lionsgate released a one-minute teaser in March. I have to admit, they have good reason, with the trailer’s weird, gnashing, ambiguous faces rising up on wisps of CGI smoke without really giving away anything but a whole lot of cheese.

On May 4th, 2011, Lionsgate released a second CONAN trailer (2:19), and I think the studio should have rolled out with this one in the first place. Though I’m not sure it holds true to Conan creator Robert E. Howard’s vision of the barbarian, I’m still sold. It’s the first glimpse of the film’s actual look and made me a lot more hopeful for Nispel’s interpretation, especially since the guy’s film credits so far aren’t something that instills a lot of confidence.

What I can tell from this latest trailer is Nispel’s put those 90-million clams to pretty good use with some very cool set designs, excellent wardrobes, and top notch CGI character designs and cinematography. Let’s all agree to give them a pass on the initial teaser and have a look at this one.

Click the image below to go to examiner.com’s host page for the trailer.

conan-hot-trailer

Full-length trailer for the 3D remake of 'Conan the Barbarian' courtesy of Nu Image Films/Millennium Films/Lionsgate Films (c) 2011. More official image releases below.

“Conan the Barbarian” stars Hawaiian actor-model Jason Momoa (“Stargate:  Atlantis,” “Game of Thrones”) in the title role, and co-stars Stephen Lang (“Avatar”) and Rose McGowan. It opens August 19th, 2011.


4 comments:

  1. I'm not buying into this quite yet. To recreate Conan...in a lot of people's minds it is on par with re-creating Lord of The Rings. Do you know if it is rated R? If not, I seriously have doubts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My issue with opinions on Conan and the Hyborian setting in general is how skewed they are by the Milius adaptation (not aimed at you, Kenny, but lots of others I've read on blogs and message boards). Most of them have never actually read Robert E. Howard's work, and it's more accessible now than ever before, so they don't understand that the previous film is quite a departure from REH's vision. Not that I'm saying this one is spot-on based on the trailer, but it still looks fun to me.

    I'm pretty certain it's R, too. I've seen stills with lots of bare breasts flared out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not gonna see it...

    Just drive by blogging today, and my wheels stopped here. Great site!
    Jeremy [iZombie]
    http://izombielover.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grazie for the comment, Jeremy. I hope eventually you'll come around and convince yourself to give the new film a shot.

    I browsed your site and it's a lot of fun! Awesome. Loves me some zombies.

    ReplyDelete