Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Parting Note to My Instructor

Today is the last day of my core curriculum as an Occupational Therapy Assistant Student (OTAS). It doesn’t seem that long ago I made the monumental decision to go back to school and pursue a meaningful career in health care. Now, the end looms near, just over yonder horizon!

Time has passed so quickly. I’ve been through the tedium of classes like ‘Effective Public Speaking’ and ‘College Mathematics: Introductory Algebra’ and I’ve immersed myself in mind-numbing courses such as ‘Functional Anatomy I & II’ and ‘Intervention in Neurological Rehabilitation.’ I’ve managed to keep my GPA up around 3.8 through it all, so I’m fairly satisfied with my effort, even if I’m not going to make valedictorian! I’ve also been part of our group’s Student Occupational Therapy Association (SOTA) as the elected 2009 president, and been invited to serve for two years on the college’s Program Advisory Commitee (PAC).

It’s been a good ride. And I’m certainly going to miss my classmates. And I’ll most definitely miss my instructor, Leah Dunn, who happens to be the program chair and also spearheaded the college’s effort to become nationally accredited with ACOTE (a crucial part of us being able to take the national board exam). So, this is my message to her:

"Thank you, Mrs. Leah Dunn, for your dedication and support of this program and of us, your first students at Brown Mackie College NKY. You'll never forget cohort I, I'm sure, and I know we'll never forget you. This might sound cheesy, but you've created a legacy.

"And now we'll be the first ones to go out into the world  from this program—your program!—and become difference-makers in people's lives. You will always be a part of that. As we treat our patients, you will be there, too, Leah. You've done a lot of good in your career, but someday I hope you'll look at your role in educating hundreds of OT students and say, 'That's where I did my greatest good.'"

I owe this woman a great deal. She has been nothing short of amazing, and as I get ready to embark on the next few grueling months of clinical rotations, I’m proud and honored to be her student.

Way to go, Leah! You rock!

--

A collage I made of BMC NKY’s Cohort I

OTAS1

--

No comments:

Post a Comment